Missing just one tooth is a common situation and an implant works wonderfully to fix it. In this case, a single implant is simply restored with a dental crown, which is matched to the rest of your smile so that it looks very natural.
Missing a single tooth? You are not alone! Tooth loss is incredibly common, and an estimated 178 million Americans are missing at least one. Whether it was from an accident, genetics, gum disease or a large cavity, a full complement of teeth can help patients have good oral health and self-confidence. Fortunately, we have multiple options, including single dental implants that are particularly ideal. Contact us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gilbert Price and find out how you can restore your smile!
Single Tooth Replacement Options
There are multiple ways to replace a single missing tooth, including a fixed bridge and a dental implant. Below, you will learn more about the fundamental differences between them, including the fact that an implant replaces the root and crown of a missing tooth while a bridge only replaces the crown. During your consultation, we will tell you more about each choice and discuss our recommendations to help you make the best decision:
- Fixed bridge — Just as the name implies, a fixed bridge is cemented into place and cannot be removed. The procedure involves placing dental crowns on the two adjacent, healthy teeth on either side of an empty space. These teeth then act as support for a prosthetic tooth (dental crown) in the middle, bridging the gap. With good oral hygiene habits and regular checkups, a fixed bridge will last, on average, 10 to 15 years.
- Single tooth implant — For this option, a single implant (which is a surgical-grade titanium post) is placed in your jaw to replace the root of your missing tooth. After three to six months it will have fused with the surrounding jawbone and can be completed. This is usually down with a single dental crown that is matched to the rest of your smile in order to look very natural.
The Benefits of Implant-Supported Single Tooth Replacement
Most people are good candidates for dental implants. Our dentist will often recommend them for single tooth replacement because of the many benefits they provide:
- Look and feel natural — Implants feel so natural that you may have a hard time distinguishing between your implant and your own teeth.
- Considered a permanent solution — Implants can last 30 years or more.
- Your other teeth are not affected — A bridge permanently alters healthy teeth on either side of your missing tooth by putting dental crowns on them. With an implant, these teeth remain untouched.
- Prevents bone loss — Bone loss naturally begins to occur when a tooth is lost. Implants preserve the size and shape of your jawbone, helping you maintain your facial structure over time.
- Superior chewing strength — Since implants replace your entire tooth, root and crown, their strength is comparable to natural teeth. This gives you superior chewing strength and allows you to eat a more balanced diet.
If you have any questions about how to replace your tooth with a dental implant in Porter, Texas, call us at 281-354-4241.