Our practice uses only composite-resin based, tooth-colored fillings to repair small cavities and slightly damaged teeth. This material is just as strong as traditional silver and amalgam fillings, and as the name indicates, it can also be color-matched to a patient’s enamel, making it practically invisible in the mouth. These fillings also offer a more conservative solution, as they allow us to repair a tooth while preserving more of its natural strength and structure, which will help it last for many years to come.
In years past, when you got a cavity, you would be left with a dark, silvery blob on your tooth. Luckily, these unsightly amalgam fillings are a thing of the past. Advances in materials have changed how our dentist can approach repairing cavities and restoring teeth to good health. As a result, our dental office maintains a high standard of care and only uses tooth-colored fillings in Porter, Texas. Our dedicated team works diligently to make sure that you get the most efficient and effective treatment to fully restore your teeth’s appearance and strength.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Made Of?
Unlike amalgam fillings (which are a compound of mercury, silver, tin and copper) tooth-colored fillings contain no metal at all. Instead, tooth-colored fillings use a material called composite resin, which is made of biocompatible plastic and fine ceramic particles. Composite resin bonds well to teeth and can be shaded to match your teeth’s enamel, making it a preferable restoration option on multiple levels for treating cavities.
What Are the Benefits Of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Although amalgam fillings are very durable, tooth-colored fillings have many advantages, including the following:
- They are nearly invisible. Composite resin can blend in seamlessly with your tooth, so no one will know you once had a cavity there.
- They better preserve your natural tooth. Amalgam fillings require removing more of the tooth structure to ensure that the filling stays in place. Composite resin bonds well to the tooth, so you get to keep more of your natural tooth.
- They support your tooth’s strength and structure. Because composite resin adheres directly to the tooth structure, it provides support and strength to your natural tooth better than amalgam.
- They better shield your teeth from hot and cold. Some patients with amalgam fillings experience sensitivity, but tooth-colored fillings do a better job of protecting the more sensitive parts of your teeth.
How Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
Filling a cavity with composite resin follows this simple process:
- After numbing the area with a local anesthetic, our dentist will remove only the decayed parts of your tooth and make sure it is clean.
- We then apply the putty-like composite resin, sculpting it to recreate the lost tooth structure.
- A special light is then used to harden the resin.
- We will finish by fine-tuning the shape and smoothness of the composite resin, helping ensure that you have a comfortable bite.
Do Tooth-Colored Fillings Require Special Care?
To care for your tooth-colored fillings, you just need to maintain healthy oral habits, including daily brushing and flossing and semiannual dental checkups and cleanings. With this proper care, your fillings and your natural teeth can last for years to come!
The health of your teeth and your experience in our office matter to us. Our experienced team is committed to making dental care more enjoyable for you. See the difference that Dr. Gilbert Price can make by scheduling an appointment with us today! Call 281-354-4241 for a dental filling in Porter, Texas, today.